One of the things that started me off in the blogging world was receiving a stumble sent to me by one of my StumbleUpon friends. For those of you who have yet to experience the fun of SU as its commonly called, I must say you are missing out on quite a bit. Granted, not everyone likes the idea of setting up a profile and spending time rummaging around the Internet for the interesting, eclectic and the wildly outrageous. That’s why I post things like this.
Watch and feel the pain…
Now, you’re probably thinking, like I did, “What-the…!!!”
After I cleared the tears from my eyes, finished unwinding my internal organs and stopped the aches in my joints through sheer force of will, I thought that I would find out what a ‘yogini’ was. This is what I found.
Definitions of Yogini
- A yogini is the female origin of a practicing male yogi: having a steadfast mind cultivated by the disciplined pursuit of transcendence through …
- A female yogi
- one of a class of powerful, fierce and often sexually alluring female demigods and human sorceresses who imitate or are identified with them; a …
- 1) One who practices yoga. 2) One who has attained perfection through yogic practices.
- (Sanskrit) Feminine counterpart of yogi.
- A female Yogi. A woman adept. Also a synonym for a Shakti in both celestial and earthly senses.
- A sorceress. Yoginis are eight female demons attending on Durga. The term also refers to a female practitioner of yoga.
In short, a yogini is a female devoted to the practice of one of a variety of yoga systems.
Yoga is believed to assist a person in becoming the absolute master of their existence and provides the practitioner with full control of their body. It has been described as a spiritual pursuit enlightening the expert through access to his/her knowledge of higher and lower self. This, in turn, leads the person to overcome mental, intellectual and bodily states of existence. This leaves the ego/id to experience a pure or divine condition.
Leave a comment to tell me how you feel about those aching joints now.